Why Doing Business in Indonesia? An immense archipelago located in the Pacific Ocean, Indonesia is the world’s fourth most populous nation. Indonesian culture has been influenced by a blend of ethnic, linguistic and religious cultures making it a diverse and exciting country to do business. Business opportunities continue to expand as Indonesia has made major progress in recent years to transform itself into a major player in the world’s markets. With its immense population and low labour costs, Indonesia is an attractive market for international investments. Doing business successfully in Indonesia however requires a comprehensive understanding of Indonesia’s unique fundamental beliefs and values that affect daily life and business practices.
Communicaid’s Doing Business in Indonesia cultural awareness courses are ideal for those who wish to take advantage of the rapid economic growth taking place in Indonesia and for professionals who wish to develop successful business partnerships with Indonesians.
A Doing Business in Indonesia course will help you bridge cultural gaps through an in-depth knowledge of Indonesian culture and business approaches so as to ensure successful working relationships with Indonesian counterparts.
Communicaid’s Doing Business in Indonesia courses will provide you with:
- Better understanding of your Indonesian colleagues and a greater awareness of Indonesian business etiquette and culture
- An overview of the current state of affairs in Indonesia and the future of its economy and business opportunities
- Useful tips to help you overcome the cross-cultural differences that may affect business partnerships
- Practical strategies for doing business more effectively with Indonesian counterparts
- Tools to develop stronger working relationships with Indonesians
- Strategies for overcoming potential challenges involved in doing business in Indonesia
Who should attend?
A Communicaid Doing Business in Indonesia course will be of benefit to you if you are:
- Considering doing business in Indonesia
- Interested in establishing relationships or partnerships with Indonesian businesses
- Managing overseas projects in Indonesia
- Experiencing the challenges of doing business in Indonesia
- Employing Indonesian nationals in your organisation
All our Doing Business in Indonesia training courses are designed to meet the specific needs of our clients depending on their particular requirements and existing skills set. A Doing Business in Indonesia course typically includes:
- An introduction to Indonesia including history, geography, politics and religion
- A discussion of stereotypes and assumptions and their implication on building business partnerships with Indonesian counterparts
- An insight into the fundamental beliefs and values that affect daily life in Indonesia
- An overview of the current state of affairs in Indonesia and as well as the future of its economic environment
- Indonesian business culture and attitudes in the workplace: saving face, ethnic diversity, hierarchy, rules, relationships
- Indonesian etiquette in social and business contexts
- Management and working styles and how to adapt differing business approaches
- Communicating across cultures: indirectness, formality and non verbal communication
- Indonesian meeting, decision making and negotiation styles when doing business
- An overview of the potential challenges of doing business in Indonesia and practical solutions for overcoming these obstacles
Doing Business in Indonesia programmes are available seven days a week, 365 days a year, either at one of our training centres in London, Paris, Frankfurt and New York or at your offices in any location worldwide. We usually recommend a one or two day course but can also offer a more flexible format to suit your schedule.
Suitably tailored materials will be used throughout your course and your trainer will provide a balance of structured input and discussion of case studies and scenarios relevant to your own particular context.
The most appropriate training format, content and approach for your Doing Business in Indonesia course will be discussed during your diagnostic consultancy.
Doing Business in Indonesia Course Trainer
Your Doing Business in Indonesia trainer will be assigned to you following the results of your diagnostic consultancy according to your objectives and areas of focus. Detailed below is the profile of a member of our Indonesian culture awareness team.
MS – Cultural Awareness Trainer – Indonesia expert
Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, Singapore Polytechnic
BSc (Honors) in Mechanical Engineering (Dean’s Merit List), University of Glasgow
MBA, Oklahoma City University (Honors)
MS was Area Manager for Spirax Sarco, based out of Surabaya in East Java, from 1991 to 1993. His area of responsibilities included setting up the marketing department for Spirax Sarco’s agent in Indonesia, PT Petrolog Multi Usaha Mandiri, and training local Indonesian sales engineers in the marketing and sales of Spirax Sarco’s products.
In 1993, he moved to Jakarta as Country Manager for Enercon Engineering to market and promote the products of Gestra AG, a German organisation. His responsibilities included hiring local engineers and training them in sales and marketing, and negotiating and appointing distributorships in different parts of Indonesia.
In 1996, MS set up a consultancy firm based near Singapore. He spent the following two years working closely with associate Indonesian companies, based near Jakarta and Bandung, to jointly promote engineered products to the ASEAN countries.
MS has also lived in Singapore, Korea, and Taiwan and travels regularly throughout the region spending periods of time in China, India, and the Middle East. He is currently working with a team of professionals in identifying and implementing business start-ups for a private equity fund.
MS regularly lectures on Asian business practices, and cultural adaptation for multi-national corporations.