Why Living and Working in Bulgaria? Located in the south eastern part of Europe, Bulgaria is a country defined by its rich traditions and unique cultural heritage. The post-war communist era transformed what was traditionally a society dominated by agriculture into an industrial focused nation state. Then the collapse of the Soviet regime caused Bulgaria to experience significant economic and political unrest before it transformed into a rapidly growing market based economy. Since Bulgaria joined the European Union in 2007 its economy has strengthened significantly making it an increasingly attractive market for business ventures.
An international assignment in Bulgaria is an effective way of taking advantage of this fast-growing economy, but living and working in Bulgaria can be a challenging and stressful experience if you are unfamiliar with Bulgarian culture. An understanding of the cultural nuances that shape Bulgarian society can lead to a smoother transition period and minimise misunderstandings and frustrations you may have in your new Bulgarian surroundings. Communicaid’s Living and Working in Bulgaria courses are designed to respond to the needs of international assignees by providing practical information and advice on the various aspects of living and working in Bulgaria, as well as conveying an understanding of the underlying elements that shape Bulgarian culture and business etiquette.
A Communicaid Living and Working in Bulgaria course will provide you with:
- Detailed insight into Bulgarian culture with an emphasis on the historical, economic, social and religious aspects and their impact on society and business
- An understanding of the impact of culture and how to cope with cross-cultural differences
- An awareness of Bulgarian business culture and the values that influences it
- Useful information to enhance your overall experience living and working in Bulgaria
Who should attend
Living and Working in Bulgaria will be of benefit to you if you:
- Are about to relocate or have just relocated to Bulgaria for business purposes
- Work on short-term assignments or projects in Bulgaria
- Travel extensively to Bulgaria for professional purposes
All our Living and Working in Bulgaria training courses are designed to meet the specific needs of our clients depending on their personal and/or organisational requirements and existing skills set. A Living and Working in Bulgaria course typically includes:
- A cultural profile of Bulgaria including historical, political and economic background
- An understanding of the effect of Bulgaria’s Soviet past and the current influence of the European Union on Bulgarian society
- Key concepts and values in Bulgarian society: family, hospitality, religion
- An understanding of Bulgarian customs, traditions and heritage
- Tips for successfully adapting to life in Bulgaria and coping with culture shock
- Practical information on living and working in Bulgaria
- Bulgarian business and social etiquette
- Key Bulgarian attitudes and values in business: formality, punctuality, hierarchy
- Management, presentation and negotiation styles and strategies for adapting your style
- Effective business communication in Bulgaria: levels of directness, nonverbal communication
- Tips and strategies for overcoming obstacles to ensure you have a successful living and working experience in Bulgaria
Living and Working in Bulgaria courses are available seven days a week, 365 days a year, either at one of our training centres in London, Paris, Frankfurt and New York or at your offices in any location worldwide. We usually recommend a one or two day course but can also offer a more flexible format to suit your schedule.
Suitably tailored materials will be used throughout your course and your trainer will provide a balance of structured input and discussion of case studies and scenarios relevant to your own particular context.
The most appropriate training format, content and approach for your Living and Working in Bulgaria course will be discussed during your diagnostic consultancy.
Living and Working in Bulgaria Course Trainer
Your Living and Working in Bulgaria trainer will be assigned to you following the results of your diagnostic consultancy according to your objectives and areas of focus. Detailed below is a sample profile of a member of our Cultural Awareness Training team.
RS - Bulgaria expert
BA International Business, King’s College
After ending her career in the banking world, RS completed a Masters in Intercultural Communication at the University of North London. While studying, RS delivered seminars on intercultural communication to university undergraduates. RS continues to deliver seminars at university level and also delivers cross-cultural awareness training programmes to a wide variety of clients in both the public and private sector.
MA Finance, London School of Economics
MA Intercultural Communication, University of North London
Originally from Bulgaria, RS currently lives in the UK. She has over ten years of professional experience in banking and finance in various business contexts including the UK, Germany and Bulgaria. While living in Germany, RS worked for a major international investment bank as a Global Markets analyst.